Fiber : Fiber is a type of Carbohydrate that the body cannot digest. Fiber content is one of the main reason that Whole Plant food are good. Adequate intake of fiber may help in Digestion and reduces the risk of Chronic disease ( A Chronic disease is a condition which can be controlled by treatment for months, Asthma, Diabetes and Depression are common examples. Often they don’t have cure , but one can live with them and symptoms can be managed.)
Most importantly, fiber being carbohydrate. Does not break down into glucose or sugar molecules and passes through the body undigested.
The quantity of Fiber content required is different for all age groups and sex as well. Children and adults require 20 to 30 grams of fiber each day. while some studies suggest that men should consuming 38 and woman consuming 25 grams of fiber is adequate for good health.
Fiber Types: Fiber comes in 2 classifications , both are beneficial for health :
- Soluble fiber, which dissolves in water and is easily broken down by the good bacteria(These bacteria helps in doing something which the body is able to do on its own) in the Gut. It helps to lower glucose levels as well as blood cholesterol.
- Insoluble fiber, which doesn’t dissolve in water, Good for our digestive system.
Note: The so called good bacteria is present in the large intestine and as told good , they need something to stay alive. The Fiber acts as a food for these good Gut bacteria. Humans stomach doesn’t have enzymes to digest fiber completely, it is in the intestine where the fiber get consumed by the Bacteria.
Let us look at 14 high fiber foods which you should eat:
I will be far better if we start the foods that you generally consume.
- Popcorn : Popcorn is the best snack to increase the fiber intake ,it’s also the popular snack at the movies. Air popped popcorn is very high in fiber and calories. A cup of Popcorn contains 1.2 grams of fiber in it or take it this way , there is 14.5 grams of fiber in 100 grams of popcorn.
- Oats : Oats are a Good source of Soluble fiber which helps in preventing heart diseases. The soluble fiber called as Oat beta-glucan has benefits on blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Oats are high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. 100 grams of oats contains 10.5 grams of fiber content.
- Lentils: One cup of lentils contains 16 grams of fiber. Lentils are very high in protein and nutrients as well. They are one of the cheapest sources present in the market and are great for heart health and also help to fight fatigue as they are rich in iron. They are among the best sources of plant based protein and are excellent food for vegetarians and vegans.
- Split peas and chick peas : The fiber content is around 16.3 grams per cup of cooked split peas or in other terms 8.3 grams of fiber per 100 grams of split peas. In the case of Chick peas 100 grams of chick peas contains 7.6 grams of fiber content.
- Sweet potato : Fiber content 3.8 grams of fiber in other words 2.5 grams of fiber per 100 grams. It is high in beta carotene , B vitamins and minerals.
- Almonds: Almonds are high in many nutrients, vitamin E manganese and magnesium .it contains 12.5 grams of fiber per 100 grams of almonds.
- Chia Seeds : Chia seeds are very rich in fiber and omega-3s and offer a super energy boost. It’s consumption cuts the risk of heart disease and type-2 diabetes. These seeds contains 34.4 grams of fiber per 100 grams, which is a very high content of fiber per 100 grams
- Whole Wheat pasta : Whole wheat pasta is also a good source of fiber and one cup of whole wheat pasta contains 6 grams of fiber. The count of fiber can be even higher if by topping dish with veggies like peas.
- Dark chocolate : Most importantly the dark chocolate contains 10.9 grams of fiber per 100 grams. It is advised to choose chocolate that has a cocoa content higher than 70 -95 % it helps in avoiding products loaded with artificial sweeteners and added sugar content.
- Avocado: Avocado is different from most of the fruits, it is loaded with healthy fats. These fruits are rich in Vitamin c, potassium, magnesium, Vitamin E and vitamin B. Fiber content is 10 grams in a cup, or 6.7 grams per 100 grams.
- 12 Protein Rich Food
- All You need to know about Paleo Diet
- Bodybuilding Diet Meal Breakup
- Bodybuilding myths and the truth behind them
- Workout Motivation Quotes
- Strawberries : Firstly , They are one of the delicious fruits and are also the mist nutrition dense fruits loaded with vitamin c , manganese. The fiber content is 3 grams in one cup and 2 grams per 100 grams.
- Raspberries : Raspberries are also very highly nutritious , they are loaded with vitamin C and Manganese. A cup of raspberries contain 8 grams of fiber and 100 grams of raspberries contain 6.5 grams of fiber.
- Apple : As the saying goes “An Apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Fiber content 4.4 grams in medium sized apple and 2.4 grams of fiber in 100 grams of apple. IT keeps the digestive system in a good form.
- Banana : Bananas are a good source of nutrients , vitamins and potassium . A unripe banana contains a significant amount of Resistant starch. A medium size banana contains 3.1 grams of fiber. In 100 grams of banana there is 2.6 grams of fiber content.It helps in muscular cramps and bloating.